This ad is expired.
Salary: $42,598.40 - $44,616.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Location: Whitworth University Campus
Whitworth University is seeking Admission Counselors to join our team of dedicated admission professionals. As an Admissions Counselor at Whitworth, you will engage prospective students and parents in all phases of the recruitment process and play a pivotal role in advancing the university's recruitment and retention efforts. If you are passionate about creating a more inclusive and equitable future in higher education, we invite you to apply.
Serving as an Admission Counselor at Whitworth offers a unique opportunity to grow as a professional with a passion for Christian higher education. Successful candidates will be part of the Promotional Pathways for Admissions. The program creates professional development opportunities for Admission Counselors to develop their skills and abilities in recruitment and receive promotions based on their progress. More details will be shared throughout the search process and here is a quick outline:
- Admissions Counselor (by meeting key performance goals over 12-18 months an admissions counselor can be considered for promotion to Senior Admissions Counselor)
- Senior Admissions Counselor (by meeting key performance goals over 12-18 months a Senior Admissions counselor can be considered for promotion to Assistant Director)
Recruitment and Travel | 30%
- Represent Whitworth at recruitment functions including high school/community college visits, college fairs, alumni events, activities of community-based organizations, etc., in an assigned geographic territory. Travel for the position will consist of approximately 8-12 weeks, including evening and weekend commitments, concentrated in the fall and spring.
- Manage a recruitment territory, including maintaining historical records of travel, key school/alumni contacts, regional higher education trends, and outcomes.
- Serve as a first contact and primary representative of Whitworth to prospective students and families from diverse backgrounds, communicating an in-depth knowledge of the university's mission, academic and co-curricular programs, and other distinctive offerings throughout the recruitment process.
- Promote and participate in on-campus visit programs for prospective students. This will involve several evening and weekend commitments throughout the year.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of the department's master calendar with relation to recruitment events, campus visit programs, correspondence and other enrollment activities.
- Assist in providing adequate staffing in the office and across campus during the peak visit season, large recruitment events and other times as needed.
- Engage prospective students in ongoing communication through face-to-face meetings, email, written correspondence, phone calls, texting and social media. Maintain a strong customer service orientation with timely responses to inquiries and questions.
- Serve as a liaison to connect prospective students with key university offices such as Financial Aid, Student Life, Academics, Athletics, etc.
- Review and evaluate undergraduate admissions applications and make admissions decisions based on students' ability to be successful at Whitworth.
- Serve as an active member of the admissions team, contributing to the development and implementation of strategies to achieve the university's enrollment goals.
- Review university communications and stay current on programs and policies in order to provide accurate information to prospective students about the opportunities available at Whitworth.
- Participate in professional development opportunities to stay current on best practices in recruitment and retention of undergraduate students.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Director.
Minimum Qualifications | Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A bachelor's degree is preferred and Whitworth considers candidates with a wide range of educational backgrounds. We value the skills and knowledge candidates bring to Whitworth, regardless of the paths they have taken to acquire them.
- Work experience that matches the responsibilities of the position.
- University experience desirable.
- A personal commitment to the Christian faith and to the integration of faith and learning.
- Demonstrated growth in cultural competence, awareness of societal and structural inequities, and proven experience in effectively establishing relationships and positive communications with students and other constituents across multiple dimensions of diversity including, but not limited to, race, gender, varying abilities, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, class or religious perspectives.
- A commitment to the educational mission of Whitworth University as a comprehensive Christian liberal arts university affiliated with the Presbyterian church
- Availability and commitment to travel for extended periods (with approximately 8-10 weeks in the fall and 2-4 weeks in the spring).
- Availability and commitment to work several evenings and weekends throughout the year providing office and visit support as needed.
- The physical ability to lift up to 50 lbs. as well as bending, stooping, and kneeling for the purposes of setting up and taking down admissions displays.
- A valid driver's license
- Experience working with high school students and their parents/guardians.
- Excellent public speaking and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with Microsoft Office products such as Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; experience working with a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) or relational database program preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, exercise independent judgment, prioritize work, and manage time effectively in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a part of a team.
- Bilingual abilities in Spanish preferred.
The pool of applicants from this search will have the opportunity to fill multiple openings within the Admissions team.
A background check and sexual misconduct check will be required of the successful candidate. A resume, cover letter, faith statement, and names, email addresses, and phone numbers of at least three (3) professional references will also be required.
You are on this webpage because a position at Whitworth sparked your curiosity. If you find yourself questioning hitting the apply button because you might not meet 100% of the qualifications, we think you should do it! Research continues to show that women and BIPOC candidates are less likely to hit the apply button unless they meet all the listed qualifications. One way we are working to overcome this trend is every search committee at Whitworth has a trained Equity Advocate (EA) serving on the team. Our EAs are trained to make space for committees to consider each candidate's unique and relevant skills and attributes. So, when you click apply, please know that your application is reviewed by a committee of real, living, and breathing human beings who want to understand your experience and skills to find ways you relate to the key competencies needed for success in the position.
Looking for resources to help with writing a faith statement? Check out our faith statement resource page for more information.
Learn more about our shared work to achieve and sustain inclusive excellence HERE.
Whitworth complies with all federal, state, and local nondiscrimination laws that are applicable to religious nonprofit institutions and does not engage in unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, sex, or disability. With our Christ-centered commitment to building a diverse and inclusive community, the university encourages applications from populations underrepresented at Whitworth including members of racial/ethnic communities, women, and persons with disabilities.
Online applications are stored on a secure site. Only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the information submitted.
It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. Applications may be rejected if incomplete.
To apply, please visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/whitworth/staff/jobs/4220523/admissions-counselor
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency